It'll be a TexMex pizza fusion restaurant and every time you talk to someone you have give them a high five.
Our chalkboard from September 2017
Texans! It's our THIRD annual Flair Fest!! July 29th from 1pm-5pm.
- Free! at The Burlap Bag in Austin (there's a free parking garage behind the shop)
- Free desserts & drinks
- Pin trading (bring pins to trade with our small pin trading board & other pin collectors!)
- 8 pin vendors -- plus a wall of over 100 pins in our shop
- Buy 5 pins total at the show, and get a free circle cork board for your pins! (while supplies last) Vendors include:
all at @theburlapbag!
The Burlap Bag's Candle Club!!!
Get our monthly limited edition, funny named 9oz candle for just $15 (or less) each month. Why subscribe?
🕯 FREE shipping for subscribers!
🕯 discounted candle cost!
🕯 Get our limited edition candle before it's even available online!
🕯 70+ hours of burn time -- what?!
🕯 You can cancel or skip at any time
📦 Each month we'll make a fun named and yummy smelling candle. It's a surprise that you'll find out when you receive it in the mail! We'll ship them around the 26th of each month. The name & scent will be revealed on Instagram and available for full price (+ shipping) on the 1st
📦 Join by heading on over to our cratejoy page
...From July 2017
Every time you buy handmade a unicorn is born!
Well, oops. It's been more than THREE years since we (I) have written a blog post.
In those two years we:
Moved our shop one block over to a bigger and better space!
Had another baby! Hi Fletcher Walter! (born April 12 2017). He and Josiah share a birthday - 28 years apart!
Greta is now FOUR! She loves Fletcher - isn't affectionate with anyone in the world except him. They are super cute together (we're waiting for if/when she realizes she has to share toys with him)
Now have our candles in over 450 stores - including ANTHROPOLOGIE ONLINE gasp.
Have a mcandle studio/warehouse space with 2 mostly full-time employees!
Have 20 year-round candle scents and we do a limited edition one each month
Every time you buy handmade, a unicorn jumps over a rainbow
A truer statement there has never been!
It's the best time of year - time for our SUPER STOCKING STUFFER PARTY! Friday, Dec. 5th from 5-8. It's FREEEEEE
I made a ridiculous graphic for it, as usual.
RSVP via the facebook event just so we generally know how many to expect! (and if you RSVP, you'll get a coupon or two for cheaper (or FREE!) goodies!)
We've been working SUPER hard on candles these days. We've created some great new names and scents - and we hope you think they are great too! Plus they are now in a buncha stores all around the US. Here's all of the different soy candles we'll be offering this holiday season: (available in our online shop and in our retail shop in Austin!)
In no particular order (because listing them alphabetically would only be common sense and we're much too odd for that):
crazy cat lady
cool as a cucumber
the nose knows
the bee's knees
king of farts
queen of farts
If you're wondering what any of the scents are, go check out their descriptions in our online shop! Wanting one that all women go crazy for? Check out the nose knows. Needing all the pumpkin you can get this season? Pumpkin addict. Know someone who's too smart for their own good? Smarty pants. Love the smell of coffee but it's a little too late for caffeine? Coffee fix. WE'VE GOT YOU COVERED FOR EVERY SITUATION.
Plus they burn for 70+ hours, which is just plain ridiculous. And it's $6 flat rate shipping for any amount of candles ya buy.
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself (and spiders)
the latest chalkboard sign in our shop window. hope it made ya laugh!
I never finish anyth
The latest chalkboard sign in our shop window
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy donuts!
(the latest chalkboard sign in the shop's window)
We've been working hard at upping our candle game. Josiah and I have tested out new scents, new names, and new packaging. Greta (now 3 months old) has helped tons too. We're attending a wholesale show in Dallas and another one in Las Vegas this summer to try to get these ridiculous named candles in stores all over the US. We had all the names lasercut on huge pieces of felt so they can be seen from far away.... everyone NEEDS to know what unicorn puke smells like!
(here Josiah is at our Dallas show!)
We also created a wholesale website for easy ordering, and we're makin' candles nonstop to gear up for the holiday season. (plus all the candles are available in our regular online shop for non-shop owners! also, use the coupon code "PUPPIES" for 25% off candles on our retail site this weekend only!!)
We've been busy busy bees! (speaking of bees, one of our new candle names is "the bee's knees"!)
the latest silly chalkboard sign in our window...
just in time for cinco de mayo!
We're hosting (for the 2nd year in a row!) an Etsy Craft Party! Etsy is asking people all over the world to host craft parties on the same day. We will be creating some awesome projects using old photographs. We'll provide materials and funny quirky old photo like the one below.
More details to come on the event pages!
Mark your calendars for June 6 - - whether you're here in Austin or not! If you're not here in Austin, try to find one in your city (or create your own party!).
Think like a proton and stay positive
(the latest chalkboard sign in the shop window)
Greta Rosemary is HERE! She was born on March 5. It's been a crazy couple of weeks adjusting to life with a newborn. She's fantastic - - and also a little exhausting! Josiah and I decided to NOT take pictures in the delivery room - or even for the first 12 hours! And we don't regret it one bit!
Here's some reason's why....
1. We got to ENJOY THE MOMENT. (oh no, our first picture of her is when she's already 12 hours old, not 2 minutes. Will we survive?) We just got to look at her, laugh and cry I'm sure (it's kinda all a blur), and be together as a new family of 3. I'm normally pretty "social media obsessed" so it was really nice to slow down for once and not post on facebook/instagram about her being born until the next morning. That first night was really exciting (and I also ate what at the time seemed like the best sandwich of my life) and it was great to put away our phones/camera.
2. No stress on Josiah to take that "perfect picture" of us in the first 10 minutes. I'm the photographer of the family, yet I'm also the one who cares more about having a great photo to share with everyone. If I tried to have Josiah take a photo, I would've gotten super stressed at him about lighting and camera settings and getting it from a good angle. Let's wait until everything's a bit calmer and when I can take them myself, shall we?
3. I don't want/need bloody pictures of her. My mom doesn't have any of me bloody and I'm not all torn up about it. I'd prefer to see Greta all clean and perfect. If you like those bloody/mucusy photos, more power to ya. If Greta wonders later what she looked like when she was born, I'll tell her to google and find some fresh out newborns, and pretend they are her.
4. No crappy iphone photos. No matter how good they make camera phones, photos are always better with a nice regular camera. A lot of the time, phone photos end up dark, blurry, super small, or just all around terrible. Since we waited to take photos, I got to get out my nice camera the next morning when everything was WAY calmer and we had slept a little. Then we had a nice, non-blurry photo of Greta to send to family and friends announcing her arrival.
Our favorite reason? The first one - - just being in the moment and forgetting about all social media.
All that being said, I totally respect anyone's decision to take photos right away. We just loved NOT doing so :)
And here's our photo we shared with everyone of our little stinker - 12ish hours old!
Things I love:
1. changing this sign
(the latest chalkboard sign in our window at the shop)
I like you, but you're crazy.
(hey, we like crazy!)
This is the latest 4 foot chalkboard that sits in our window here at the shop. A little Valentine-sy but also a little snarky, our favorite.